Paint is one of the easiest ways to revitalize a room. Here are tips to help you find the right shades and bring great colors into your home:
* Select a color scheme by looking at your room's furniture, window treatments and floors. When unsure, buy a sample quart of your chosen color to do a paint test.
* When painting over a large wall, most colors tend to appear darker than expected. Consider choosing a shade or tow lighter from your initial color choice. Lighting in the room can also affect the outcome of the color.
* Colors can have an impact on your mood. When considering shades for a room, think how the colors make you feel and what you're trying to accomplish. Use cooling hues such as blues and greens to create a calm and restful atmosphere. Warm colors like reds, oranges, and yellows can bring energy and excitement to a room.
* Paint ceilings with a lighter version of the wall color. For baseboards and trims, use a contrasting color for a dramatic effect.
* Coordinate the paint colors you use in adjoining rooms so they complement each other and flow from one room to the next.